Thursday, July 11, 2013

Days 24 and 25: Two of the hardest days of my life!

Wall, SD to Pierre, SD
117 miles with over 3,000' of climbing

Pierre, SD to Chamberlain, SD
84 miles with over 3,000' of climbing

I apologize for not writing a summary of yesterday's trip. By the time that we arrived to our hotel, we could hardly function. Gail contracted an intestinal bug and was not herself yesterday. I hung with her, trying to pull her in for the 117 miles. There was a stiff cross wind which made the task incredibly difficult. Finally, with about 20 miles to go, a group of 3 guys helped to pull us in to the town of Pierre (pronounced Pier), which is the state capital.
Here are a few photos of Pierre...
P

Today: 
During the night, I experienced the same (but worse) symptoms as Gail - severe diarrhea. I knew that I would never make the ride without support so I asked two of the nicest guys if we could hang on their wheels. I was careful about rehydrating after the previous night, but I still couldn't eat much. To put it mildly, this day was the most difficult day of my life. The temperature was 100 degrees and the wind was sustained at 25 mph but gusting over 40 mph. We could hardly keep our bikes upright. We rode from 6:30 until after 3:00. At the last hill, I almost broke into tears. With only 5 miles to go, I contemplated hopping into the SAG van. My new hero Gary kept me going. After a quick shower, I went to bed and slept for 2 hours, skipping our RAP. Even our ride leader Jeff said that this was the most challenging ride that he has ever had. Just try it when you're sick!!
The one positive that occurred today was that we passed the halfway point of our journey. Now, to bed for more recovery time!

2 comments:

  1. Annie,

    So sorry to hear you got sick. What a tough cookie you are to have persevered on that windy, hot ride under those internal conditions! Is there any chance you could see a doctor?

    Congrats on getting to the 'half full' mark!

    I know you'll enjoy the upcoming rest day!

    Best to Gail too!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Gary's are helpful guys....don't push too hard, safety first. Be careful out there, had you share of bumps already. Great accomplishment. SAG is not a bad choice at times, no dishonor.

    ReplyDelete