Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 36: Bike Issues and Crossing Lake Michigan

Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI (Ferry Ride)
7 miles with 0' of climbing

While today was officially a rest day, we did ride a few miles to and from the ferry. It's a good thing that I took this small test ride before embarking on the 113-mile trek tomorrow. Yesterday, I had some bike maintenance done: changing the brake pads and the chain on my bike. As I pedaled the first few strokes, my chain kept slipping and making a thump, thump, thump whenever I applied pressure on the chain. Something is seriously wrong. Until this point, my Merlin Fortius has been my tried and true companion. Because it is made from titanium, it takes the bumps well and offers a smooth ride. I purchased the bike in 2002, and it has never disappointed me, especially on this journey. Now, I'm panicked. Our head mechanic Jim thinks that I am in need of a new cassette. He spent the first hour of our ferry ride trying to find the specific Campy cassette required for my bike. While we found what we need online, the earliest that I can have it sent to a hotel is 5 days. Because the mechanic who replaced my chain saved it, Jim assures me that all will be fine when they put the old chain back on. Ugh!
The ferry ride across Lake Michigan took 4 hours. My time was spent, eating, reading, and eating some more. The ferry is powered by coal. It reminds me of the Cape May-Lewes Ferry with a few more amenities. Badger Bingo appears to be the big draw for everyone. As you can see, there are some hardcore Bingo players who traverse the Lake. 
Pulling into the harbor was a wonderful sight to behold. Not only was it beautiful - complete with a lighthouse, but it meant two exciting milestones: a new state and our home time zone!
Seven of us ate dinner at the Jamesport Brewery, a spot that was recommended by my Delaware friend Gary. It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment