Saturday, July 20, 2013

Day 34: Great Day To Be On A Bike

Wisconsin Dells, WI to Fond du Lac, WI
84 miles with 2426' of climbing

Hooray! The heat broke today. We noticed it as soon as we walked outside. I wish that I had a dollar for the number of times that I heard, "It's a beautiful day!" Everyone was in an upbeat mood and happy to be reunited after yesterday's debacle and stressful day. The first 25 miles flew by. Our first SAG stop was at this picturesque quarry. The granite that came from this quarry was used in the construction of Grant's Tomb....
The second highlight was the stop for Bratwurst sandwiches. While I cannot attest to the accuracy of "Voted best in the state," I can tell you that I heard some great reviews!
We arrived in Fond du Lac, meaning "Foot of the Lake" by 1:30 and had a wonderful lunch at the charming restaurant (converted from a church) across the street from our hotel. 
Our after dinner entertainment was a t-shirt swap, which proved to be great fun! I landed a t-shirt from Israel from my friend Yuval. All in all, it was a terrific day. After the past week of 4 centuries in 4 days, we appreciated the lighter mileage of 84. I can't imagine making that statement just one short month ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment