Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 32: Wisconsin - Another New State

Rochester, MN to La Crosse WI
88 miles with 2,850' of climbing

Some of you might wonder how we ride when the temperature nears and exceeds 100 degrees. Gail and I have learned not to question the conditions, the distance, or the terrain. We just do it! (I know it sounds like the Nike ad.) 
Today was a hot day with lots of climbs. Suffering from the after-effects of heat exhaustion, Frank knew better than to tackle the entire ride. He chose to keep his body cool while assisting with the SAG stops. Once Gail, CJ, and I left him, we were hit with some significant climbs. A welcome relief came when we ventured onto a shaded bike path that ran from mile 50 - 62. I later found out that the path extends over 100 miles! Can you imagine if we had one in Delaware? It would run the length of the state!

Crossing into Wisconsin was a highlight as it's our 6th state. Immediately afterwards, we saw the Mississippi River, one of the widest rivers that I have seen. Note the houseboats along the shore. What does the scene remind you of? (Portland, OR)

Tomorrow, Frank and CJ fly home. They will be missed!. :-(

2 comments:

  1. Hey Annie,

    Did i really see you in a dark colored jersey?! Don't make it any hotter than it should be. I'm sure you brought your white Y's Guys jersey... ;-)

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished catching up on your whole blog. It is amazing to read about your ups and downs (literally and figuratively!) My mom and I are thoroughly impressed by the distances and challenges you have conquered thus far. Sending good luck thoughts from all of the Fall '11 student teachers. The infamous heel clicks have become bike shoe clicks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete