Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 15: It Wasn't Easy!

Idaho Falls, ID to Jackson, WY
90 miles with 5,500' of climbing

Well, today was the ride that everyone had been talking about since the start of the trip. Just the words "Teton Pass" sent shivers down experienced cyclists' spines, especially because it was near the end of 90 miles. Obviously, Gail and I made it, but it was definitely a challenge. Whew! Glad it's over!
To start at the beginning....the day began as a beautiful day with pleasantly cool temperatures. As we left town, we realized that there was a significant headwind. Then 9 miles into the ride, we ran into construction. They were chip sealing the road for the next 15 miles. Oh, I forgot to mention that we were also climbing so it was a real trifecta!
At our first SAG, our efforts were rewarded with a spectacular view of the Snake River...
Eventually, the road leveled out for about 20 miles until we began our climb to Pine Cone Summit (elevation 6,764). While the ascent was taxing, it cannot compare to what lie ahead. Ultimately, we reached the town of Victor, ID at mile 65. We ate at a cute little market to fuel for the ensuing climb. The temperature was 99 degrees.
At mile 70, we entered our third state - Wyoming ....hooray!

Then, the REAL climbing started. From mile 71 to mile 77.4, we climbed at grades that were 10% and higher. When faced with a challenge like this, you have to play mental games. I counted pedal strokes, alternating between standing and sitting. I convinced myself that there was a tailwind pushing me up the mountain. You try anything to keep from jumping off the bike. I passed those who chose to walk, but I was determined to just stay in the saddle. Needless to say, when I reached the summit (and my heart rate returned to normal), I was thrilled! Here we are at the top (elevation 8,431)...
The descent was fast and furious. At times, we were going 43 mph which is way too fast for me. My brakes were squealing and my rims were searing hot. It was a 5 mile descent, and I was ready for flat ground.
Finally, we reached Jackson (the town) which is located in the valley of Jackson Hole. We took a brief tour of this charming, affluent, Western town. 

Now, to do it again tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Knew you'd do it no sweat!... well, maybe a little sweat!

    Love the 'trifecta' description! LOL!

    Hope you enjoyed a good dinner and a celebratory glass of wine or two!

    Thanks for the update and great pictures.

    Tom H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the pics and updates. Beautiful area. Shame you did not have a rest day in Jackson with a nice raft trip down the Snake or swim in Lake Jackson. I predict you will miss those mountains after miles of flat, boring road in WY and SD....But I see you will stop in Wall, SD so it will be well worth it to get to the Wall Drug Store. Bet you lose count the numbers of signs for it on the way! I want a pic of you and Gail on the resident jackalope - together!

    ReplyDelete