Saturday, July 27, 2013

Day 41: We Pushed Our Luck!

London, Ontario to Brantford, Ontario
69 miles with 1,250' of climbing

Today we passed the 3,000 miles mark with a grand total of 3,058 miles (not including detours). Wow - I am amazed by that number. Whereas I don't keep a cycling log as many cyclists do, I can safely say that I have never had a year when I have ridden that many miles. To think that it has been accomplished in 6 weeks is pretty incredible (if I say so myself). :-) 
The morning began with showers so rain jackets, booties, and helmet covers came out of storage. (If you have never seen a helmet cover, you have missed a good laugh. For some reason, the men not the women wear them. They look like bright yellow shower caps. I am sure that they serve a function other than fodder for jokes at dinner. Bottom line - I won't be buying Frank one for his birthday.) While there was a light drizzle as we pulled out of the hotel, the rain stopped shortly thereafter. Our group consisted of Gail, Gary, Yuval, Amy, sometimes Don, and me. Here we are at a SAG...
Note the 3 brand new Canadian jerseys worn by Gary, Yuval, and me. And here we are in action....
We arrived in Brantford by 1:00 and stopped at a restaurant 2 miles from our hotel. This is where we pushed our luck. We should have selected a location much closer to the hotel. As we finished our veggie burgers, we came outside to pouring rain. Thus, we were soaking wet when we arrived at our hotel only to discover that our rooms weren't ready. Looking like 5 drown rats, we sat in the lobby shivering for about 30 minutes. It seems that we learn new lessons every day. With only 8 cycling days left, I wonder if I'll have things figured out by the time that we finish - probably not!

1 comment:

  1. 3000 miles! Way to go! closing in on home! Stay safe!

    Tom

    PS like the Canadian jerseys but the one Gail had on wins the fashion award hands down! ;-)

    ReplyDelete